Our Editor tries a fruit acid chemical peel for the very first time. Read on to see if it gets a pass!
When it comes to beauty products, we’re all about the bottom line – do they really work? Whatever we share with you here on Sassy, we truly advocate because all the past treatments we’ve undergone have done wonders for our skin! Unfortunately, things aren’t as simple we think they are. Some treatments react differently to various skin types and some take weeks of diligent application before you can actually see the results. That said, there’s a new two-in-one fruit acid chemical peel offering in town by German cult brand, Dr. Belter Cosmetic that we’re excited about. I put this au natural treatment to the test and was so amazed at the instantaneous after-effects.
The cool people at The Good Folks hooked me up for this appointment at Annabelle Skin and to be honest, I was a little nervous. I did my research on chemical peels prior to the treatment and I was afraid that the results from the treatment would cause my skin to turn red and flaky! However, you should know that not all peels are created equal (I learnt this the Dr. Belter way). Their Derm-A ReNew treatment by Dr. Belter claims to not just focus on peeling but their newly developed fruit acid concentrates and products like a ampoules and personalised facial masks promises immense benefits that will enhance skin renewal and nourishment.
As soon as I arrived, the owner of Annabelle Skin, Ms. Shirley Mok (who’s also known to have magic hands and eyes that can detect skin problems at a glance!) gave me an in-depth skin analysis. She used a wand that’s synced to a computer and programmed to visually enable me to see the inner layers beneath my skin. This skin analysis assists Ms. Mok in determining her clients’ skin types and what their specific complexion needs.
I was a little grossed out (TMI) when I saw what was going on underneath my skin. I mean, I knew my skin wasn’t the best but this skin analysis was really detailed. So girls, you’ll have to prep yourselves for the hard truth – it’s for your own good! Ms. Mok told me that my skin is generally good on the surface but internally, there are some minor problems. It turns out that my skin was clogged which is why I usually get breakouts on one particular area, particularly my chin. My poor mien was a tad dry and dehydrated and the scars from my old breakouts were getting darker.
After I got the dirty (literally) truth about my skin, Ms. Mok diagnosed me with a 10% skin renewal peel concentrate and an ampoule that would plump up the volume on my skin. I was then led to the treatment room by a therapist and the session began. Here are the steps to the treatment;
Step 1: Consultation/Contraindication
- I had my consultation with the Ms. Mok where she analysed my skin condition to figure out what my skin needs.
Step 2: Cleansing
- I personally hate extractions because they’re so painful and I tear all the time from it but Ms. Mok wanted to get rid of some clogged areas and because there were some stubborn bumps under my skin, the only way to rectify this was extraction. I’ll be honest, no extraction is painless but if it gets the job done, then I guess I’ll have to suck it up!
- After extraction, the Nobless Cleansing Oil was applied to my face and removed by compress twice
- After that, a Delicate Cleanser is used to cleanse my face thoroughly followed by some light rinsing with water. My skin was then prepped for the treatment with a cleansing toner.
Step 3: Preparation
- A nutritive eye balm was applied around my lash line, nostrils and lip contour
Step 4: Fruit Acid
- As diagnosed earlier, the Derm-A ReNew skin concentrate (10%) was applied with a mask brush on my face and neck. After this application, the concentrate was give three to six minutes to work its magic on my skin. After a minute or so, I felt a light tingling sensation. I now understand why first-timers are usually advised to start at smaller dosage of 10% because they might find this sensation uncomfortable and painful. But personally for me, the tingling feeling was bearable and because the exposure time on my skin was really short, I didn’t find it painful or invasive at all.
- After six minutes, the fruit acid gel was removed with cotton pads soaked with water and the Derm-A ReNew neutralising gel with mask-brush was applied and then removed with a compress. (P.S: Right after the application of the neutralising mask, I fell asleep within seconds from the cool temperature of the mask).
Step 5: Active Concentrate
- My face was then massaged with Ampoule No.16 Hyaluronic Factor 5. This ampoule provides deep hydration because hyaluronic acid plumps and boosts up skin and reduces the appearance of shadows from acne scars and fine lines.
Step 6: Mask
- We’re almost there – bear with me! From Dr. Belter’s plethora of mask options for this treatment, I was given the Lumination Secret Physi0 Marine Mask to restore my skin radiance and to facilitate immediate brightening.
Step 7: Finishing Care
- At this point, the facial was over and all that’s left to do was to apply some toner, moisturiser and sun block and we’re done!
Once the treatment was over I studied my reflection in the mirror and I must say that I was really impressed! Of course I didn’t walk out of Annabelle Skin looking like J.Lo but hey, it was a major improvement from when I walked in about two hours before! Pictured above is a shot of me one day after the treatment sans makeup, except a little eyeliner. You can still see some acne scars on my chin and cheeks but overall, my complexion was brighter. My acne scars were visibly lighter, my skin was more plump and I could feel a bounce as I lightly tapped my fingers on my cheeks. The next day, I woke up to fresh and bright skin and surprisingly, my face didn’t react to the extraction! So if you’ve been told that chemical peels hurt and that they’re bad for your skin, I call bullsh*t! This Derm-A ReNew treatment by Dr. Belter contains fruit concentrates that does wonders and I promise that you’ll be peeling your way to perfect skin in no time.
The Dr. Belter Derm-A ReNew treatment is available at Annabelle Skin, The Adelphi, 1 Coleman Street, #02-42, Singapore 179803, (+65) 6336 8975 at $238.