So you’re that Sassy Girl who frequently travels and have a list of ‘die-die must-buy’ items at your destination. Say a big hello to us to because that’s what we do on the reg too when we’re travelling! Yes, we know that we can pretty much get anything in Singers but hey, when EVERYTHING is imported, they don’t come cheap!
So because we adore you and we’re all about sharing the good stuff here, we’ve rounded up a few suggestions on what you might want to stock up on when you’re in certain parts of the world. There’s plenty of overlap on this list (for instance, whatever country you’re from, chances are you will find larger sized, cheaper bras, underwear and shoes there!), but we’ve noted a few specific favourite brands from each country or region.
Australia / New Zealand
- Chewing gum
- Meat, meat and meat – sausages, lamb cutlets and steaks. Meat is really expensive here!
- Cheese – again, it’s not that you can’t find it. We import as much cheese as could be possible, but dairy is not cheap in Singapore.
- A trusted stain remover
- Raid your local drugstore! Stock up on Advil, NyQuil & DayQuil, Sudafed, Tylenol, Benadryl, Arm & Hammer baking soda toothpaste, hairspray, and your favourite brand of anti-perspirant/deodorant (they mainly sell roll-on here)
- Travel-sized toiletries
- Tampax – think bulk packages from Walmart
- Clothes and shoes, especially when they’re on sale!
- Under Armour workout clothes and sports bras (much cheaper, and the sizes run larger)
- Luna bars by the box; Rold Gold honey wheat pretzels
- Large bottles of sunscreen – you think we would have larger bottles here for this weather, but no.
- Anything from hair pins to hair ties, bronzer, self-tanning lotion, eye brow crayons, etc.
- Belgian chocolate – Pierre Marcolini and Cote d’Or – yes, you may have seen the latter in supermarkets, but they don’t carry the full range. If you’re a ‘Noir de Noir’ and ‘Noisette’ lover, stock up!
- Shoes over European size 40 and bras for DD cups and larger.
- Weleda Beauty & SantaVerde Facial products
- Molton Brown toiletries.
- Chocolate – yes, we have Dairy Milk and Quality Street, but it’s cheaper in London! Seriously.
- Hair dye, quick-drying nail polish
- TVs and electrical items – yes, even though they’re Asian made, they still cost a pretty penny.
- Larger size bras and shoes – size 8 (UK 40) is usually the largest size available here.
- Batiste dry shampoo from Boots
- Blonde hair bands and bobby pins
- Jar of marmite
- Stock up on glossy mags as they’re so expensive in Singapore
Bring nothing! Seriously. With Mustafa and (big) Little India here, there’s virtually nothing you can’t find, including freshly cooked homey comfort foods. Need Maggie noodles or Chavanprash? Head to Mustafa – they’ve got everything from daals and spices to henna and ras malai!
Lead image sourced via Pinterest, Image #1 sourced via Pinterest, Image #2 sourced via Pinterest, Image #3 sourced via Pinterest, Image #4 sourced via Pinterest