In a perfect world, we’d all roll out of bed with perfectly coiffed hair. Sadly we find ourselves struggling to tame our tousled tresses most mornings. Ladies, meet the versatile braid – the answer to all your hair conundrums. The plait party movement is not going anywhere anytime soon so if you can’t beat them, we say, join them! It’s a hairstyle that’s proven rife with inspiration and while our nimble fingers might find it hard to cooperate at first, we concur that practice makes perfect. Plus with humidity levels rising here in our little red dot, there’s no better time to embrace the braid. Ahead, five styles that we insist you Sassy girls master.
The french braid
1. Start by brushing your hair to smoothen it and remove any knots. Then use your fingers to separate a two-inch section of hair from your hairline back to the crown.
2. Use your fingers to divide that two-inch section into three equal sections and this is where braiding begins! Cross the strand of hair in your right hand over the strand in the middle and then cross the left strand over the top to the middle.
*Tip: Keep your hair tight by pulling the sections away from each other
3. Use your right index finger to part a section of hair below the braided part and incorporate this section into the braid and repeat on the left side. Then continue and repeat steps 2 and 3.
4. Secure your hair with an elastic hair tie, spritz with hairspray and you’re good to go!
The braided bang
1. Start by brushing your hair to smoothen it and remove any knots. Tame fizz in your hair with some moisturizing cream.
2. Part your hair to your preferred side and section your bangs into three strands. Begin the French braid.
3. Continue on French braiding until you reach your desired end point for the braid.
4. Secure the braid with an elastic hair tie or bobby pin.
The fishtail braid
1. Divide your hair into two large sections and part it in the middle.
2. Hold on to the left section of the hair and pull out a thin strand of hair from the outside over to the inside of the right section.
*Tip: Take uneven strands for that effortless look
3. Repeat on the right section of the hair. Take a strand from the right section and pull it over to the left.
4. Keep going and alternating sides until you reach the bottom of the braid.
5. Tie off the end with an elastic hair tie and voila!
*Tip: If you feel that the fishtail is too tight, use your fingers to gently pull apart the braid to loosen it
The sexy braided low bun
1. Tame frizz in your hair (if any) with a dollop of hair cream.
2. Separate hair at the crown and tease it lightly, working the comb downwards to give volume to hair.
3. Separate hair into three sections and braid (refer to step 2 in The French Braid) loosely.
4. Secure two of the three sections at the end of the braid with a hair tie and leave the last section free. Hold on to the loose section and push the rest of the hair up until a bun a formed.
5. Take a bobby pin and insert it horizontally to secure the bun.
6. Spray your hair lightly with holding spray and you’re all set for a glamorous night out!
The milkmaid braid
1. Part your hair down the middle all the way back to the nape of the neck and clip one section aside.
2. Start braiding each side and secure at the end with an elastic hair tie. Repeat for the other side.
*Tip: Gently tug and pull apart the braid to loosen
3. Cross one braid over your head to the other side and pin to secure. Repeat for the remaining braid and secure your braids in place with bobby pins.
4. Set with hairspray.
Featured image sourced via Pinterest, Image #1 sourced via Pinterest, Image #2 sourced via Pinterest, Image #3 sourced via Pinterest, Image #4 sourced via Pinterest, Image #5 sourced via Pinterest